Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Alys trained at Millennium Performing Arts graduating in professional musical theatre with the merit and journal awards Alys has performed in many shows since she started performing at the age of 3. Venues for these have included Disneyland Paris and The Royal Albert Hall. As well as theatre Alys has appeared in a number of TV programmes, such as Emmerdale and also done voice over work for various Radio commercials. Alys also teaches dance, drama and singing to children at various schools in Leeds and Dubai. Below is a link to my spotlight page, containing my cv http://www.spotlight.com/3874-6759-2207

Sunday 25 October 2009

Task C - Kolb's learning cycle

Kolb’s Learning Cycle - My experience

Kolb’s learning cycle is never ending. Anything you think or do in your life can fit in to the cycle. The layers on it just constantly build up as you go round and round, thinking, trying and doing new things. You can chose to look at the cycle from a certain point but there will also be another point that will have got you to the place at which you chose to focus on.

For example I am choosing to reflect on a dance audition I attended. A new learning cycle started with this experience. However before I did the audition came a whole other learning cycle. I had learnt skills at college needed for the audition (concrete experience). Reviewed and reflected on past experiences to help me decide what was appropriate for this audition (reflective observation). I then concluded (abstract conceptualisation) on my thought and made a decision about how to perform and what to wear. Then attended the audition and tried out my conclusions (active experimentation).

Concrete Experience
I attended an open audition for a dancing job. We had to learn a commercial dance routine and then perform it in groups of four for the judging panel. Then we lined up and they picked people to stay on to the next round. Unfortunately I got cut and subsequently did not get the job.
This is a concrete experience because it actually happened and is not affected by emotions. It fits the cycle as it is something I did and therefore have as an experience. I had this experience because I went to dance college and wanted to put in to practice skills I have learnt, this meaning I attended as active experimentation.

Having this concrete experience lead me on to the stage of reflective observation.

Reflective Observation
On reflection I did not wear the right clothing and subsequently did not have the right ‘look’ the employer wanted to hire. This made me feel uncomfortable as I did not look suitable and this carried across in to my performance, as I was not confident. I do not view myself as a commercial dancer. Therefore when we started doing the routine I did not believe I could do it. The dance style is one I am not comfortable with. I did not perform well due to the fact I was uncomfortable and did not believe I could do it. In order to review myself more I asked my friend how I performed and looked; she said my face showed uncertainty and my look was not right. This is reflective observation because it is my review of the event. It is what I have felt by thinking back (reflecting). I believe in order to get an all round perspective of an experience you need someone else’s opinions. This is because sometimes you believe what you want and therefore do not reflect on the truth/concrete experience. Subsequently, in order to be capable of reflective observation an outsider’s opinion of your experience is needed.
The reflective observation I did lead me on to abstract conceptualisation

Abstract Conceptualisation
From this experience I learnt and concluded a number of things. For commercial dance work, choreographers want an inspiring look. They want an image that is different and stands out from the crowd. I wore black leggings and tight top. This look was uninspiring and did not get me noticed. Therefore I know not to wear this outfit to a commercial audition again and am going to get some outfits prepared for future auditions. For the routine, the choreographer wanted us to be sexy with our hair. However because mine is so thick and long I cannot dance with it down lose. And due to it being all one length when it is tied back I get an instant ballerina look, the complete opposite of sexy, funky commercial dancers. I have come to the conclusion I need a re-style of my hair in order for it to work up or down, because if I cannot do what the employer wants I am not going to get hired. I also concluded that I need to become more confident in commercial dance. So much dance work requires many genres in this day and age. If I am weak and unconfident at commercial dance it is going to hinder my employability. Therefore I need to increase my exposure to the style, I feel the more I do the better I will become and this will increase my confidence. If you don’t believe in your own abilities know-one else will, consequently I did not get the job.

This is abstract conceptualisation because it is what I have taken from the experience and learnt/concluded. This is done to help make experiences in the future more profitable and prosperous. If you do not conclude or learn anything from an experience it was pointless as it means you have no feelings towards it and did not gain anything. Life evolves because people learn from experiences therefore abstract conceptualisation is a natural but necessary process.

Active Experimentation
Active experimentation is the planning/trying out of what has been learnt in previous stages of Kolb’s learning cycle. I put in to practice what I abstract conceptualised in regards to my audition experience.
I have planned to wear an outfit that will catch the panel’s eye. It is a black cut out swimsuit with either baggy trousers or black leggings. This is dependent of the style and because sometimes tight clothing is requested. My hair has been re-styled! It is shorter with lots of layers. This means I can wear it up or down and it has more volume, and I have some red flowers to clip in it, which should hopefully draw the choreographer to look at me. Due to the fact I was not confident I have decided that I need to forget my own worries and take on the personality of a new character. Therefore I have created an alter ego for myself, who is confident and a commercial dancer. When I go to auditions now I will pretend I am this person in order to portray the character the employer wants. Classes in commercial dance were something I decided were necessary. I am going to try and attend as many commercial classes I can afford, and not always pick the standard jazz class. These should help me improve and with improvement will hopefully come a job.

Results/Outcome
A week after this audition, I attended a cruise audition. Cruise ship dancing is what I would ideally like to do at the moment. I wore my new outfit, had my hair re-styled and believed I was the character I have created. Auditions for cruises can be make you do a number of dance styles. In this audition, during the first re-call we were required to do commercial dance. Normally I would panic during this section, and probably get cut. However this time I felt calm and just thought positive things. I did not get cut and made it through the final cuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment