Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Alys trained at Millennium Performing Arts graduating in professional musical theatre with the merit and journal awards Alys has performed in many shows since she started performing at the age of 3. Venues for these have included Disneyland Paris and The Royal Albert Hall. As well as theatre Alys has appeared in a number of TV programmes, such as Emmerdale and also done voice over work for various Radio commercials. Alys also teaches dance, drama and singing to children at various schools in Leeds and Dubai. Below is a link to my spotlight page, containing my cv http://www.spotlight.com/3874-6759-2207

Thursday 8 October 2009

My 5 top resources
















My 5 top resources for my professional work





The stage is a performing arts newspaper. It contains articles about the industry and auditions. It is essential to read if you are an out of work performer as it contains auditions to get you back into work.
I check the website almost for jobs and without it I wouldn’t have a clue what was happening. The jobs are screened in an easy to view way which means you don’t have to spend hours searching and it is updated regularly. The newspaper also contains listings of shows. Being a performer it is vital you see performances so that you know what the current styles are and what future jobs could be out there.

2. pineapple dance studios - classes
Without Pineapple dance studios many dancers careers would not have the longevity they do. Pineapple provides daily classes in all styles of dance for all levels. It has a pay on the day policy. This works brilliantly because in the dance industry nobody knows where they will be from one day to the next. It is fantastic because without regular classes a dancer will lose their stamina, strength, technique and style.
Pineapple is one of a few places that does professional classes therefore it is always highly populated with people, which can be great for making contacts and checking out the competition! There are also auditions, photographers, physiotherapist’s information and anything else you might need posted all over the walls. Professional auditions are regularly held at pineapple, so without it who knows if auditions would be held at all, and then nobody would get a job!

3. facebook - social networking
In this day and age most people have Facebook! Consequently you should not overlook it as being merely a time fiiler.
It allows you to keep in touch easily with anybody, anywhere. This is great because who knows when somebody might be able to help you professionally. More and more people are posting auditions on facebook and setting up groups to advertise jobs, classes, agencies and for performers to network. This week alone I have gained an important contact and found an audition on facebook.
I expect in time it will become a bigger database for auditions.

4. music notes - sheet music
Music notes is an online database of sheet music that you can buy. It is great because if you find out you have an audition and have to sing a set song you can go on music notes download the song and print it out. I am yet to search for a song it does not have.
For me music notes is great because I cannot play the piano. Music notes has a programme you download and then every song you buy it can play it to you following the sheet music exactly. You can slow it down, speed up, transpose and play individual notes – basically like having a pianist play for you!
I teach singing and get some random requests, so for me the simplicity of being able to find a song and learn it so easily is fantastic.

5. star now - casting work
Star now is an online casting network for absolutely anything and everything from dancing to reality TV. Star now is a new discovery to me so I do not have as much experience with it as my other 4 resources. However I am finding it to be invaluable! It contains endless opportunities, all the odd, small, miscellaneous jobs the stage might not advertise. As a performer when you need a job the scale of it does not matter!
Star now also has posts by photographers, lists crew jobs, extra work. Whatever type of contact or job you want in the performing arts industry star now will have it.
I am hoping the more I get to grips with the website the more I will find to help me!

1 comment:

  1. if anyone knows how to move pictures when you insert them on a blog tell me! please!

    ReplyDelete