Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Alys trained at Millennium Performing Arts graduating in professional musical theatre with the merit and journal awards Alys has performed in many shows since she started performing at the age of 3. Venues for these have included Disneyland Paris and The Royal Albert Hall. As well as theatre Alys has appeared in a number of TV programmes, such as Emmerdale and also done voice over work for various Radio commercials. Alys also teaches dance, drama and singing to children at various schools in Leeds and Dubai. Below is a link to my spotlight page, containing my cv http://www.spotlight.com/3874-6759-2207

Thursday 8 October 2009

General Interests - Make Up




Make Up

You have probably read make up and thought who is this vain person?! That would be me...however I hope when you have finished reading this you understand why it interests me, and think I am more than a plastic Barbie doll!


I have always loved make up, I think it started with a passion for glitter and as I grew older I naturally had to develop that love in to a more demure look. For me make up is a bit like acting. You can make yourself in to whoever you want to be. I find it fascinating how one brush of rouge lipstick can instantly change people’s perception of you. I love the fact that someone can look in the mirror and feel depressed, give them a few coats of mascara, some blusher and lipstick, look again and feel instantly uplifted.
I understand it is what is on the inside that counts, but I believe the inside feels a lot happier if the outside looks good to! I know if I have to leave the house without being able to put concealer on the big spot in the middle of my forehead I feel self conscious, and not as vibrant or confident. That is insecurity, but I know most people have it to or the beauty industry wouldn't be so profitable. When I look good I feel more motivated to do things as I am more confident.


Being a dancer you need make up. Without it on stage you wouldn’t be able to define performer’s eyes and mouths. If I went into an audition bare faced no one would take notice of me. However if I walk in with fake eyelashes, rouged lips and copious amounts of blusher you would definitely be more drawn to look at me. If only because of all the glitter reflecting off my face! Nevertheless I will have caught your eye and you will then see me dance! After all the performing arts are all about attracting attention!


When I am not dancing I work for TBC, a beauty and fashion temping agency. I have worked on many different cosmetics counters thus learning all about them. It fascinates me how many products are out there and how many women buy in to every miracle cream or foundation in a bid for ever youthful, dewy skin. I love it when someone walks away from my counter feeling a million times more confident simply because of some powder in a box.
Of course there is more to make up than just cosmetic purposes. It is used in theatre and television to create wounds, age people and any other look desired to enhance the believability of a scene. I love how quickly an affect is created and how other people can believe it is real. Make up is art work except it only lasts a few hours and you take it off at night.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for replying to my message! I didnt manage to go to the induction either so I am totally lost with it all and I cant go on tuesday s I am on standby to go to Taiwan any day now! Its made the whole thing more stressfull as when im in Taiwan I will have to email all my work to my mum who will have to post it off for me!! But its good news that it doesnt have to be handed in until week 6. I agree with you about the work load....i really didnt think it would be this much but hopefully we will get used to it, did they tell you anything else interseting at the induction? I noticed you trained at Millenium, I dont suppsoe you know Charlie Taylor? she went there and I worked with her on panto last year. Anyway if ever you need any help or want any feedback on your blog let me know and ill see what I can do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiya...Ok i will have another look through your blog and see if theres any pointers I can give!! No one has actually added me apart from you and one other guy :-(!! anyway i thought hard copy meant like printed out copy, maybe you could ask that on tuesday if not i will email peter and ask him, or ask him via his blog! im trying to do as much of the work now as i can before I go to taiwan i might even do some on the long 23 hour flight!!xx

    ReplyDelete