Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Alys trained at Millennium Performing Arts graduating in professional musical theatre with the merit and journal awards Alys has performed in many shows since she started performing at the age of 3. Venues for these have included Disneyland Paris and The Royal Albert Hall. As well as theatre Alys has appeared in a number of TV programmes, such as Emmerdale and also done voice over work for various Radio commercials. Alys also teaches dance, drama and singing to children at various schools in Leeds and Dubai. Below is a link to my spotlight page, containing my cv http://www.spotlight.com/3874-6759-2207

Tuesday 6 October 2009

Stephen Mear - people I admire




People I admire

2. Stephen Mear

Stephen Mear is the choreographer of the moment. His works currently appear on Broadway, the West End and many touring productions across the world. His work is innovative and inspiring which has led him to receive numerous awards including Laurence Olivier award and Tony award for best choreography.

I admire him for the works he has produced, the performing career he has had and for the fact he has not let it affect him and still treats everyone with respect and care. I have been fortunate enough to work with Stephen Mear (if briefly) and see the way he executes his ideas. He is so clear and precise, that to work with him as a dancer is easier than most choreographers. Mear’s ability to dictate means his work is clean and all ideas are maximised (which is what every choreographer wants!) Consequently I admire him for achieving his vision.

His choreographic works include ‘The Little Mermaid’, ‘Mary Poppins’, ‘On the town’, ‘Anything Goes’ and ‘Acorn Anitques’ to name but a few. Each time his choreography is different and exciting, however there always his obvious style which has been influenced by his Matt Mattox training. I love his work because I have been Matt Mattox trained and I find it inspirational to see him take set movements and make them original over and over again.

Stephen Mear also boasts a performing career any artist would be jealous of and can’t help but admire. He has appeared in Evita, Cats, 42nd Street, Follies and Some like it Hot on the West End. Even if performing was his only career path I would admire him, but with his choreographic resume as well I cannot help but tilt my head back and look up at him with admiration.

Link to article about Stephen mear's career
http://www.thestage.co.uk/features/feature.php/8118

Example of Stephen Mear chroeography:
the little mermaid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUXVAg7oWg&feature=related

mary poppins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNGIQ51aiw&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=1B6CF3BE5A13E8E8&index=1

No comments:

Post a Comment