Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Alys trained at Millennium Performing Arts graduating in professional musical theatre with the merit and journal awards Alys has performed in many shows since she started performing at the age of 3. Venues for these have included Disneyland Paris and The Royal Albert Hall. As well as theatre Alys has appeared in a number of TV programmes, such as Emmerdale and also done voice over work for various Radio commercials. Alys also teaches dance, drama and singing to children at various schools in Leeds and Dubai. Below is a link to my spotlight page, containing my cv http://www.spotlight.com/3874-6759-2207

Thursday 4 March 2010

Learning Blog Entry 3

In order to completely understand what is being asked of me I have gone through the handbook and written each activity on a separate post-it, with the page number on it for quick referencing, and stuck them all on a large piece of paper. This has enabled me to produce an action plan because I can now clearly see everything that needs to be completed.

I did activity 3 – I found answering set questions was very helpful. This is because you cannot brush over a point just because it might not suit the current idea. It brought up some interesting points. I also made brainstorms with ideas and found this really got my brain thinking critically about what research topics may work.

I am currently working in Dubai as a teacher mainly however when we actually have to do the proposed project I will be working as a performer in Greece, a country in which I currently have no teaching connections. This change in careers mid-project has made the whole ‘topic’ decision a lot tougher, because I have had to really question my resources and role as a worker-researcher.

Here is a list of the research ideas I have come up with - I have found it very hard to really get myself thinking as a researcher and to come up with ideas that I will be able to do whilst in Greece, but that still hold an element of education (because education is why I wanted to do the degree.)
Here in Dubai I do not really have anyone I can discuss ideas with (This is another reason I have found the topic choosing so difficult.)
I have brainstormed and asked myself the appropriate 'research' questions about all of them.

1. What are the Physical/Health repercussions of a dance education? - I originally thought to focus this on 5-8year olds but being in Greece I thought it would be best to focus on adults because I could then study the dancers and non-dancers on the resort. I thought this may be too researched already though? Should I stick to the child idea as it is more researched?

2. How can teaching and performing benefit one another? - the title for this is not so clear yet, because if I choose it I don' know whether to focus it more from a teaching or performing benefactor point of view? I would be the centre of this as I am a teacher and performer and thought I could look at people who do both compared to just perform/teach.

3. Do those who study drama and dance become more skilled dancers than those just studying dance? - I am interested in this topic and feel it will benefit my work most of all, however I think it may be hard to do whilst in Greece (but if I get ground work in place now it may be ok?!) and I don't think there is much research on this topic already.

These ideas have all mainly come out of the question 'benefits for children doing performing arts.' I realised this topic was too vague and extremely researched already.

A question I keep asking myself is: If I do these topics, will all of them allow me the right to put education (or something of that nature) in my degree title? I want education in my degree title because I am doing this degree to enhance my teaching career.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Alys, i think that you have very carefully thought about the tasks and work ahead which is very good and you must feel good about the module now you have set some guidelines.

    Quick question, i know what the module is about but do we just post what we have learnt about the different types of research with ideas of what we will do relating to our title to get marked? Or are we just getting marked on our diary extracts and researh proposal?

    I quite like your subject about those who study dance and drama do they become more skilled dancers? What made you choose this title? What do you think, for me i dont see how doing drama improves technique but understand how it might helpdancers express feelings through movement. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know would be the honest answer to your question! However when reading the handbook I understood that in order to get marks we have to communicate with our tutor and others, and the blog is our way of doing it. The guideline sheet though does just say 5 x learning diary, and research proposal. So maybe thats all we need to do - a marking guideline would be most helpful!

    That topic was my favourite too, however because I will not be teaching for a bit when we have to actually do our research project i will not have access to the children to research it easily. I think I have decided to go with looking at physical implications of dance because I can easily access people and info for this - I have found that their is not any study of it for adults so am interested to see if its still beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alys,

    firstly, I am so jealous you are working in Dubai, I have been there a number of times for a holiday but would love to work out there.

    I really like your topic idea " do those who study drama and dance become more skilled dancers than those who just study dance.

    I think this will be a very interesting topic to research. Do you have access to both types of dancers, those who study both drama and dance and those who only study dance?

    In my experience from working with both types of dancers, the dancers who have trained in drama and dance seem to act more through the dance, which makes their performance more exciting and as a performer they stand out more. Also when going to see a show I can always tell before reading their biog where they have trained. The dancers who just train in dance seem to have fantastic technique with not so much charisma and wow factor where as those who do train in both have the ability to bring the dancing to life.

    ReplyDelete