Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Alys trained at Millennium Performing Arts graduating in professional musical theatre with the merit and journal awards Alys has performed in many shows since she started performing at the age of 3. Venues for these have included Disneyland Paris and The Royal Albert Hall. As well as theatre Alys has appeared in a number of TV programmes, such as Emmerdale and also done voice over work for various Radio commercials. Alys also teaches dance, drama and singing to children at various schools in Leeds and Dubai. Below is a link to my spotlight page, containing my cv http://www.spotlight.com/3874-6759-2207

Wednesday 17 February 2010

Learning Blog

What is the new module?
It is about planning a research project, learning how to research and ethical issues surrounding it.

What is research?
In my mind it is a process undertaken to provide knowledge of a subject and answer to a question.

What do I have to do?• Learn research related words
• Learn how to plan
• Chose degree title and give justification
• Learn about ethical practices
• Chose research project – workshop a number of ideas
• Learn about research subject chosen

Start thinking about.....
1. Two topics for your project
2. research to support that topic
3. Two things about the topics that you already know
4. Two things about the topics that you dont know
5. Question the things you know and dont know about the topics

Start doing ..........
1. Read guidance notes
2. Read book by Bell ( especially chapter 1 and 2 )
3. Read Paula's, Peter's and Rosemary's blog

What did I learn and achieve from the last module?
• Harvard referencing
• How to write academically
• How to write descriptively
• How to write to market something
• When different writing styles are appropriate and the difference between them
• How to reflect and analyse work in order to improve upon it
• My areas of interest and what inspires me, and what I am not interested in and understand why
• How to blog and use a blog as a professional tool
• I gained an improved CV and biography
• I used the writing styles in order to produce marketing items for my theatre school, plan/gain knowledge about what I aim to achieve with children and why parents should send their child to my school.

I read first 2 chapters of ‘Doing your research project’ by bell. Main things I learnt are:
• Different research approaches
• Find a personal knowledge priority of a topic interest in order to help form research question

Research Brainstorm
I tried to read handbook on computer and couldn’t focus on it. When I printed it out and could physically touch it my concentration was much higher and I was able to understand. Being able to do something physically, as simple as hold and highlight paper as I read heightens my ability to learn. My own enhancement of learning by doing has started me thinking why this is? – Research idea!

I am a dancer, it is a doing physical activity – I could focus my project on learning benefits of dance.

I teach children dance – I could focus my project on a certain age group.

I spoke to my tutor (Paula) on skype about the module as I was unable to attend the campus. After our conversation the module aim was much clearer. Paula made me realise I need to be the centre of my research project in order for it to be achievable in the time available.

I have so many ideas in my head, all based around the same topic – benefits of child development through performing arts. This is what I focussed my academic writing on. Doing that piece made me want to investigate more! Due to the fact I will be working as a performer in Greece when we have to do the proposed project and I am currently working as a teacher in Dubai I am worried I will not be able to do the proposed project. However I currently have no other formed ideas in my mind!

I definitely want to focus on something educational as I chose to do this degree to enhance my teaching career that I wish to pursue full-time when I stop performing. I don’t need this degree for my performing career as a dancer as it will only improve my theory and practice knowledge not performance ability. I want to have the word education in my degree title. Therefore I have to focus my project on something education based.

How can I access children doing dance when for research purposes when I am not teaching?
Talk to teachers I know and ask for co-operation
Ask some parents to help, and inform me of their child’s development
Visit dance schools in area I am living

What books may help inspire research idea performing arts education based?
Early years curriculum outline handbook – learnt about areas of development.
• Personal, social and emotional.
• Communication, language and literacy.
• Mathematical.
• Physical.
• Creative.
• Knowledge, understanding of the world.
Could focus research on a specific development area?
How can dance help them achieve these things?

The Art of Dance in Education – learnt about teaching models
• Professional
• Educational
Interested in how these increase child development
Which has more results?

No comments:

Post a Comment