Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Alys trained at Millennium Performing Arts graduating in professional musical theatre with the merit and journal awards Alys has performed in many shows since she started performing at the age of 3. Venues for these have included Disneyland Paris and The Royal Albert Hall. As well as theatre Alys has appeared in a number of TV programmes, such as Emmerdale and also done voice over work for various Radio commercials. Alys also teaches dance, drama and singing to children at various schools in Leeds and Dubai. Below is a link to my spotlight page, containing my cv http://www.spotlight.com/3874-6759-2207

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Critical Reflection of Learning Across BAPP Course

Critical Reflection of Learning Across BAPP Course

Research is a process undertaken to find/provide knowledge of a subject and answer to a question, Spencer, A (2010). I discovered what this truly meant whilst conducting this project and throughout my degree course. The course has introduced me to the world of research, writing styles, practice and planning and helped me create some extremely helpful business tools.

The first module helped me to enhance my business by creating C.V’s, advertisements and making me question everything I did. I found this module extremely helpful in letting me discover areas of which I was passionate. Therefore when I came to the second module I already had a number of ideas about what to construct my research project on. The discovery of Kolb’s learning cycle, allowed me to keep my work on track and help me realise what my next step was to be. I helped myself by choosing a research area I am passionate about, because if I was not I feel my dislike for the written side of the project would have over-shadowed the want to research and I would not have given the findings the presentation deserved.


The planning and final modules have improved my knowledge of the dance education models. I used to teach the way I had been taught, taking techniques from a number of teachers and moulding them together to create my own style. I now know it is important to diversify knowledge as much as possible for younger students so they can learn other areas of the arts they like and understand dance is more than a regimented syllabus. I have been introduced to more ways of teaching dance and drama in order to develop more skills, such as the professional model (Autard-Smith,J 1994). By deciding upon research methods and finding dance is naturally a qualitative subject my ideas about dance examinations have been questioned. Before my enquiries about how best to conduct dance research I viewed dance competitions and examinations necessary as a way of proving skills. However I now feel they go against the natural production of a dance and can be unnecessarily degrading due to personal preference. The trinity national diploma does not use a number scale in order to grade its partakers; this is beneficial because it allows movement for individual creativity and style. I discovered that people have been theorising for centuries, such as Aristotle, about the importance of drama in dance in order for it to be successful. However found little research about how studying drama can improve a dancer. I find this strange considering how much ‘perform’ was shouted at me throughout my training. I hope my study will encourage dancers and teachers to include drama in their dance curricula.

The support I received from my tutor has allowed me finish this project and she has encouraged me to always aim a little higher. Without the support network that the blogs and my tutor provided I would have felt overwhelmed and probably given up, but being able to look on a blog and see others are struggling with the same thing, or being able to post a question allowed me to always find a reason to continue. I entered this project wanting a degree for the future, but I discovered things about myself; including passions, learning type and a better way to conduct my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment